Tuesday 3 November 2009

Tutorial - Using Lathe Modifier to create a chess piece

Firstly I had to create half a chess piece using the pen tool in Adobe Illustrator. I made sure that both ends of the chess piece drawing were vertically in line with each other. I then saved the image as the oldest version of Adobe Illustrator to make sure it was compatable with 3DS Max. This is shown in the image below.














After I imported the image into 3DS Max, I was able to use the Lathe Modifier tool and use the shape (below) to create a cross section through the central point to create a symetrical 3D shape. I choose my pivot point which was at the top of the shape directly on the edge of the line.














After I had used the lathe modifier tool I
had to select 'Flip Normals' to make sure that the polygons face outwards to show the shape.

















This is the rendered image (shown below) that i create using the lathe modifier tool.

1 comment:

  1. I am concerned that you do not seem to have highlighted your three chosen stamp ideas please start to update your blog more regularly!

    ReplyDelete